Did You Know…? Roman women dyed their hair black using a paste made from leeches.

Good evening,

Today we started our day with some Words Their Way Spelling. Tuesday is the day that students are able to sort their new words and then use their sorting menus to further explore their weekly words. We also had 1 group complete their first Spell Check this week. Spell Checks are small quizzes that we will be using to help to assess how students are doing. This group was practicing spelling common antonyms (Eg. The opposite of above is __________.) and synonyms (Eg. Another word that for scared is __________.) Don’t forget, tomorrow is our Speed Sort day!

In Social Studies today, students were give then opportunity to work individually and in groups to prepare for their Appalachians Quiz tomorrow. Students were reviewing the unit together, searching their duotangs and textbook for the answers to the attached questions. Remember, if you look over these questions again tonight, chances are you will do VERY well on our quiz tomorrow!

Appalachians Review

In Math today, students completed Day 2 of our work on Lesson #6 – Estimating Differences. We have been using some of the same strategies that we used when we were estimating sums. For example, we can use front end rounding:

Eg. 23 567   –   8323   =   ?

Well… using front-end rounding 23 567 rounds to 23 000. Using front-end rounding 8323 rounds to 8000. So… I need to solve 23 000   –   8000   =   ?

23 000   –   8000   =   15 000

So 23 567   –   8323   =   is about 15 000

We could also use compatible numbers.

Eg. 56 718   –   2623   =   ?

Well… 56 718 would round to 56 700 if I was rounding to the nearest 100. When I look at the number 2623, I see that I can round it up to 2700 because the 700 will make the numbers easier to work with. So… I need to solve 56 700   –   2700   =   ?

56 700   –   2700   =   54 000

So 56 718   –   2623   =   is about 54 000

Students who were unable to complete their practice questions in class, should be completing them for homework this evening. We will be writing our unit test later next week.

In Language Arts today, students had another challenge activity to complete in their Writer’s Notebooks. They were asked to read and then respond to the following:

November18

I heard some very creative, very descriptive examples! I can’t wait for our Publishing Day tomorrow (more information to follow!)

Agenda:

Read 20 minutes

Math: pgs. 58-59 #1-4, 6-8

Social: Appalachians Quiz (tomorrow!)

Ski Forms – ASAP

SPCA Calendar – Email Picture/$5 donation

Family Movie Night (Mr. Peabody and Sherman) – Friday, 7:00 pm, drinks/popcorn can be purchased (Gr.6 Edmonton fundraiser)

Healthy Family Fun Night – November 25th, 5:00 – 6:30 pm

The completed "Colour Your World" bulletin board.
The completed “Colour Your World” bulletin board.
Thanks for all the colourful fruits and vegetables everyone. They look great!