Good evening!

We had a very busy, but very productive day today in 4/5 N.

We started off by reviewing our “story mountain” and the elements of a story. We have been using a mountain as an image that we use to discuss how to write a story. It has an interesting beginning, but slowly builds towards events #1 and 2, then finally we reach the top of the mountain. Here there is the climax! It is the most dramatic part of our story, and where the problem/plot come together. Then we start heading back down the mountain towards event #3, and finishing back on the ground with the solution.

We have also been practicing writing paragraphs within stories. While we are very comfortable in writing a small paragraph on a single topic, we will now start organizing longer pieces of writing (such as stories) into paragraphs. Students are practicing adding a new paragraph when they change topic, or speaker, and are using their topic sentences to help them decide what should or should not remain within a paragraph. This is a skill that we will be developing throughout the entire year, but we are off to a very good start.

In Science today we finished a new set of “I can” statements. This is a mid unit quiz that we use to remind students of what they already know! The statements that we worked with today are:

• “I can describe evidence that air contains moisture and that dew and other forms of precipitation come from moisture in the air”
  • “I can describe and measure different forms of precipitation, in particular, rain, hail, sleet, and snow”
  • “I can record weather over a period of time”
  • “I can identify some common types of clouds, and relate them to weather patterns”

Everyone did a great job, and I am looking forward to reading some of your understandings!

Homework: Ski Days – November 27, December 3

Read 20 minutes

Reading Journal – Friday

Spelling Test – Friday

Math: Gr. 5 – Return signed test

Gr. 4 – Blue Review Book (tomorrow)

– pgs. 76-77 #1-15 (optional – study)

Math Unit Test (Grade 4) – TOMORROW

Book Orders – November 30th

Vista Ridge Forms – ASAP

Health – Home Activity 1A and 1B

Healthy Family Fun Night! – Tomorrow from 6:00-7:30 pm!