Did You Know…? In the average lifetime, a person will walk the equivalent of 5 times around the equator.

Good evening!

Today we began with our Social Studies quiz, but first we had a few expectations that we needed to go over as a class. Some were familiar to the students from previous years, others were not. In our class when we write a test or quiz:

• We do NOT talk.
  • We keep our eyes on our own paper.
  • We read through the test twice! First as a class, second on our own.
  • If I don’t know the answer or understand the question I should skip it and come back to it later.
  • If I still don’t know the answer, I can ask Ms. B for help.

The reason that we read through our test twice, is to give our brain time to use our schema. In order for our brain to access our prior knowledge, it might need a little time. If I read through the questions slowly and carefully, my brain will start looking for the information. Then when I am ready to answer, it will be easier to remember what I have already learned! This is also why we skip questions. Maybe our brains just need a little more time to find the solution, or maybe there is something else on the quiz/test that might help me. Students did a great job with these expectations. We marked the quizzes as a class. Students wrote what they got correct on the top of each page. So… if you got 8 right, you got to write +8. On Friday, we are going to have a chance to try and beat our first scores. Need to practice at home? Look at the links on the homepage!

In Math today we started Lesson #2. We are using patterns to help us to solve problems. This is very similar to the work we were doing with the Math 5 Live on Friday. An example would be:

“Sam makes $6 / hour babysitting. How much will Sam make in 2 hours? 3 hours? 4 hours? 5 hours?”

Students would need to organize the information in a chart, and work to see if they can use patterns to help them complete the problem.

Eg.

Hours Work

Amount Paid ($)

1

6

2

3

4

5

Hours Work

Amount Paid ($)

1

6

2

6 + 6 =12

3

6 + 6 + 6 = 18

4

6 + 6 + 6 + 6 = 24

5

6 + 6 + 6 + 6 + 6 = 30

The above shows an example that students could use to complete the table. They could also use multiplication, skip counting, etc. Be sure to show your work to explain your answers.

In French today we began discussing the Months of the Year. We looked at 2 videos to help introduce the concept (and yes, 1 was another song) and then we practiced our vocabulary on the Promethean Board with some matching questions. Don’t forget to start practicing your French at home. We may have a quiz on your vocabulary sooner than you think! Check out the links below to review at home:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_u2SigckNQ

Agenda:

Read 20 minutes

Social – Provinces/Territories/Capitals Quiz (Friday)

Family BBQ – Thursday @ 5:00 pm

Spirit Day – Hat Day tomorrow (bring Food Bank Donations)

Don't forget we are collecting Food Bank donations this week!
Don’t forget we are collecting Food Bank donations this week!