Good afternoon,

This morning we started our day with some Math. Students should now be comfortable discussing the following six attributes of quadrilaterals and shapes:

1. Line length – does this shape have any lines that are of the same length? Did I draw a hatch mark to demonstrate this?
  2. Parallel lines – parallel lines are always the same distance apart and will never intersect; are there any pairs of parallel lines in this shape? Did I draw the arrow shaped hatch mark to demonstrate this?
  3. Vertices – the vertex is the corner or the “point” of a shape; how many vertices does this shape have? Have I named them?
  4. Perpendicular lines – a line is said to be perpendicular when a horizontal line meets a vertical line at a right (90°) angle; are any lines perpendicular in this shape? Does it contain any right angles? Have I used a small square at the vertex to represent this?
  5. Diagonals – a diagonal is a line travelling from one vertex to another within a shape; does this shape have any diagonals? Do the diagonals intersect at right angles (only true for squares and rhombuses!)? Have I used my ruler to draw the diagonals?
  6. Lines of symmetry – a line of symmetry is the fold line that evenly splits a shape into two symmetrical parts; does this shape have any lines of symmetry?

Lines of symmetry was the concept that we focused on today. We correctly labelled all the other attributes of a rectangle, triangle, and trapezoid. Then students were challenged to try and fold their shapes in half. We discovered that the rectangle had 2 lines of symmetry. The triangle had 1 line of symmetry. The trapezoid was the trickiest. This particular trapezoid had no lines of symmetry, but I can’t forget that some trapezoids CAN have lines of symmetry. When in doubt, trace the shape, cut it out, and try and fold it!

In Social Studies today students were each assigned a job that they may have held if they had participated in the fur trade in the 1763. Students were tradesmen, officers (governors), officers (surgeons), labourers, voyageurs, and translators. Students had to read through the various job postings around the room to find which job description matched their occupation. I saw a lot of great teamwork. Great job everyone!

Agenda:

Read 20 minutes

Math – pgs. 236-238 #1-11

Science – Chemistry tests signed!