Hello everyone!

Sorry for the lack of posts. I had a meeting at CPEC on Friday, and didn’t make it back in time for an update, and yesterday I was out sick. The students did a wonderful job with the TOC though, and she was very impressed with all of your behaviour.

Today the majority of our class was away sick! There seems to be something going around, that’s for sure. As a result, the students and I did some review activities today.

We did start an introduction to levers today, by having students consider the placement of the fulcrum, load, and effort on first, second, and third-class levers. Tomorrow students will have the opportunity to build some of these levers for themselves.

In Language Arts we constructed simile poems. We reviewed what a simile is (something we learned with our Grinch pictures), and students were challenged to come up with 7 traits about their topic, and to write 7 similes to go with their traits. An example would be this poem that I started about my cat:

Stortini

You are as energetic as a 5-year old who has just finished eating a mountain of candy.

You are as cunning as any supervillain.

You sneak through the house like a stealthy ninja on a midnight mission.

As you can see, students were able to have a lot of fun coming up with their own similes to use.

In Math, we introduced two new math centers today: the noisy game, and multiplication war. Students had a lot of fun playing both, and they all earned $4 math bucks for their participation today!

Homework: Multiplication Quiz – Thurs.

Spelling Quiz – Thurs.

Read for 20 minutes

L.A. – Character Poems (Thurs.)

Math: Gr. 4 – Unit Test (Tues.)

Health: Home Activity (pg. 43)

Family Movie Night – Jan. 31st

Class Fair – March 4th

School Science Fair – March 5th

Note – Their is no school on Friday of this week, as it is PD Day. As a result, students do not have to complete a reading journal entry this week, UNLESS they have missed a week!